14 November 2010

Cold War Kids, 11 Nov. 2010, Harlow's Sacramento

The tiny stage at Harlow’s is just a couple feet off the ground, making it seem like the band is within arm’s length.

I felt like I could reach out and touch the band if I wanted to. Actually, I know I could have because somebody tried.

At the beginning of the encore set, some girl pushed her way to the front and crawled up on stage. Standing on her knees she draped herself over the piano and made an inaudible request of lead singer Nathan Willett.

This awkward moment was the only downside to the show at this small, intimate venue.

I could see bassist Matt Maust spit between songs, and I could read the setlist a few feet away.

The show was a mix of new and old songs. The new tracks seem to be lacking that characteristic sound I love, but I will hold my reservations until the next album arrives.

As usual, they played energetically and maintained a crisp sound.

I was happy to be able to use my new camera for the first time at a concert. All photos were taken with a Nikon D300 with a 50mm manual focus lens.








Opening act We Barbarians



No comments:

Post a Comment