01 January 2011

Year in review

It's been a bit quiet around these parts lately, so I figured I'd write a quick recap of my impressions of this year's shows.


When I first saw the lineup of shows to attend I was excited and overwhelmed at the same time. For some reason it seems as though the shows I want to see are always bunched around the same time of year. Can't they be spread out a little? Oh well, it made for lots of excitement in the fall.


My favorite show of the year was Jónsi, hands down. The stage setting and effects were incredible, almost beyond description. The whole room transformed convincingly into his own world, and every note resonated with me. It was the best overall "package" that I think I have ever seen at a show.


Going into this year, I would have guessed that Sufjan would have been my favorite, but I was hoping for the theatricality of his shows prior to this new album. It was still a treat to finally see this prolific artist--and especially to hear him talk so intimately about his creative process--but it wasn't the musical experience I was hoping for.


Another solid show was The Walkmen. They never fail to impress me, and their opening acts were thoroughly enjoyable. This was one of the best setlists I have seen them perform, and the high energy made for a fun night of dancing.


Panda Bear was fascinating and memorable because I had never seen a show like that before. Just a man on stage, almost ignoring the audience as he entertained us. I was intrigued by the projections and the way he segued from one song to the next, but after seeing Jonsi, this seemed like kids play. This is the guy you would want to DJ a party, whereas Jónsi should be writing the soundtrack to your life.


Sadly, the most disappointing show had to be Gogol Bordello. It had nothing to do with the performance of the band--their energy was infectious--but rather the obnoxious audience and overall atmosphere of the venue.


Another one that I am shocked to say is in the bottom is Cold War Kids. I loved being able to shoot photos and be so close to the band; the venue was small and intimate. Unfortunately the new songs failed to stir anything in me. I'm still waiting to see if I change my mind when I listen to them again, but even an otherwise perfect performance seemed a bit lackluster.


Well, here's to hoping that 2011 will have some wonderful new things in store. I'm looking forward to getting things started right away with Ra Ra Riot this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment